Sunday, March 27, 2011

Feed Me!!!


Background:
In the 1986 musical straight off of Broadway comes the story of “Little Shop of Horrors”. The story of a nerdy florist Seymour living in downtown on skid row in New York City. Tired of his life in the dumps of the city Seymour keeps himself busy with his hobby of rare and unusual plants. One day he finds a plant that catches his eye, after naming it Audrey II he begins to car for it. Sadly his plant’s health does not improve. Frustrated one day Seymour by accident cuts his finger and to his surprise his plant reacts to the blood. At first Seymour gives small amounts of blood to the plant in order for it to stay alive due to the business it attracts to the flower shop. After business it booming and Seymour becomes a local celebrity, he realizes how massive Audrey II is getting. One night Audrey II begins to talk to Seymour, demanding more blood than Seymour can give, while offering more fame and fortune in return. Audrey then tries to convince Seymour is only chance of happiness is murdering Orin after seeing him abuse his cruse and friend Audrey. In the song “Feed Me (Git It)”, deals with the conversation between plant and the florist.
 “Feed Me (Git It)”
[AUDREY II]
Feed me! Feed me! Feed me!
Feed me, Seymour
Feed me all night long
That’s right, boy
You can do it
Feed me, Seymour
Feed me all night long
‘Cause if you feed me, Seymour
I can grow up big and strong

Would you like a Cadillac car?
Or a guest shot on Jack Paar?
How about a date with Hedy Lamarr?
You gonna git it.

Would you like to be a big wheel,
Dinin’ out for every meal?
I’m the plant that can make it all real
You gonna git it

I’m your genie, I’m your friend
I’m your willing slave
Take a chance, just feed me and
You know the kinda eats,
The kinda red hot treats
The kinda sticky licky sweets
I crave

Come on, Seymour, don’t be a putz
Trust me and your life will surely rival King Tut’s
Show a little ‘nitiative, work up the guts
And you’ll git it

[SEYMOUR]
I don’t know. I don’t know
I have so, so many strong reservations
Should I go and perform mutilations?

[AUDREY II]
Think about a room at the Ritz
Wrapped in velvet, covered in glitz
A little nookie gonna clean up your zits
And you’ll git it

[SEYMOUR]
Gee I’d like a Harley machine,
Toolin’ around like I was James Dean,
Makin’ all the guys on the corner turn green

[AUDREY II]
So go git it
If you wanna be profound
And you really gotta justify
Take a breath and look around
A lot of folks deserve to die

[SEYMOUR, AUDREY II]
If you want a rationale
It isn’t very hard to see
Stop and think it over, pal
The guy sure looks like plant food to me.

[SEYMOUR]
He’s so nasty, treatin’ her rough,

[AUDREY II]
Smackin’ her around and always talkin’ so tough.

[SEYMOUR, AUDREY II]
You (I) need blood and he’s got more than enough

[AUDREY II]
So go git it!
Dilemma:
Have you ever wanted to change your life? To become someone famous instead of being another face in the crowd easily forgotten? To live in another place and have a fresh start at life? To have that one person notice you and realize you two were made for each other? To have a sense of respect and appreciation from those who know you? In the beginning of the musical Seymour longs for all of this, but he doesn’t know how to change his situation of being a geeky florist in the dumps of New York City.  When Audrey II brings in business to their poor flower shop Seymour is over joyed to the point he does not even think about what makes Audrey II run: human blood. He starts to become a local celebrity, but he does not have all he dreams for. One night alone in the shop Audrey begins to speak for the first time, demanding Seymour to feed him. Seymour shocked that is plant is talking points out he does not have enough blood to feed Audrey II. He insisted that Seymour must feed him fresh blood in order to survive. Seymour begins to think about the situation but Audrey begins to tempt Seymour with how he can help improve Seymour’s life. He promises him riches, fame, respect, and the girl of his dreams. This results in Seymour to commit murder. When you strive for change all of us tend to go down the wrong path in order to get it. For we all have those few friends that point out the desires of our heart by pointing us down the wrong direction.





No comments:

Post a Comment