Monday, May 2, 2011

Show Me Now!!

Background:
The musical My Fair Lady is story of a cocky man by the name of Professor Henry Higgins, who takes a bet with a visiting Professor  Colonel Pickering that he can transform  a common  dirty flower girl Eliza Doolittle into a refine lady of state, and even pass her off as a duchess at the embassy ball. Throughout the musical shows the success and failures of his with poor Eliza. Higgins ends up winning his bet passing Eliza off as a refine lady, but then takes all the credit of success. Angry and hurt she did not receive any recognition Eliza decides to leave Higgins. While running off in the middle of the night Eliza is greeted by Freddy her aristocrat admirer who pleads her to run away with him. Freddy begins to express his feelings towards her. Only to have Eliza lecture him that words are useless by themselves, in the song “Show Me”.
Show me
Freddy
Speak and the world is full of singing,
And I'm winging Higher than the birds.
Touch and my heart begins to crumble,
The heaven's tumble, Darling, and I'm...
Eliza Words!
Words! Words! I'm so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do?
Don't talk of stars Burning above; If you're in love,
Show me! Tell me no dreams
Filled with desire. If you're on fire,
Show me! Here we are together in the middle of the night!
Don't talk of spring! Just hold me tight!
Anyone who's ever been in love'll tell you that
This is no time for a chat! Haven't your lips
Longed for my touch? Don't say how much,
Show me! Show me! Don't talk of love lasting through time.
Make me no undying vow. Show me now!
Sing me no song! Read me no rhyme!
Don't waste my time, Show me!
Don't talk of June, Don't talk of fall!
Don't talk at all! Show me!
Never do I ever want to hear another word.
There isn't one I haven't heard.
Here we are together in what ought to be a dream;
Say one more word and I'll scream!
Haven't your arms Hungered for mine?
Please don't "expl'ine," Show me! Show me!
Don't wait until wrinkles and lines
Pop out all over my brow,
Show me now!
Dilemma:
Words alone without action are meaningless, most can agree on. Eliza expresses her frustration with words through the song “Show Me”. Freddy begins by saying to her, “Speak and the world is full of singing, and I'm winging higher than the birds. Touch and my heart begin to crumble, the heaven's tumble, Darling, and I'm...” He is immediately cut off of expressing how he feels when he is around her. Eliza begins to sing, “Words! Words! I'm so sick of words! I get words all day through; first from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do? Don't talk of stars burning above; If you're in love, Show me!” She goes on in the song informing Freddy if he truly loves her to stop talking about it and simply show her through actions. How often do words filled up our lives and yet action is nonexistent. When it comes to any relationship whether friendship, dating, or marriage it is crucial there needs to be a line of communication and action. One cannot express love, faith, trust for the other person if there is no action that reinforces it.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment